No vacation thi year, but rather a staycation. We bought a swimming-pool so that screamed” new outfits” to me!!!.
Thnaks to Mondial Tissus, I could grab that luscious Swiss dot viscose by Atelier Brunette to sew a robe for myself. A robe is that garment that is ideal to go from the house to the garden/swimming-pool.
Choosing the right pattern
It wasn’t as easy as I thought because I wanted a robe, but I wanted a PDF pattern because I hate tracing paper patterns.
Two patterns came rapidly to my mind thanks to my time spent on the web…
Closet Core Patterns, Charlie Caftan
This pattern has been on my waiting list for so long.
I like the front, the neckline, the closed sides, the various lengths, etc.
It can be transformed into an everyday dress too, depending on your choice of fabric.
But the price ($16) was a bit steep to me.
Nina Lee, Seraya Robe
Her Seraya pattern had all the features I was looking for for a very moderate price (only £3). So I bought this one (and another pattern because there was a sale…!)
This is the archetype of the robe. The long version is even more screaming Seventies to me.
Sewing the Seraya
A robe, in my opinion, is a large rectangle with a neckline.
No real technical diffculty there, apart from the placement of the seam lines.
At worst, the bias-bound neckline can be tricky, but I’ll tell you more about it below.
Atelier Brunette’s Swiss dot viscose is a bomb to sew. The drape is chat I really needed to show the features of that robe. It’s not see-through and is really agreeable to the touch.
I chose the color ‘Posie Chestnut’, but I hesitated to choose the Granito Night, I must say.
I cut a size 12, mini version with extra length added (+7 cm).
About the hems. Do you know how much I dislike narrow hems??? I wasn’t really keen on pressing meters of narrow hems so I took my Janome’s narrow hemming foot…a real blessing!
Technique: the neckline
This is the only true technical point.
The neckline is bound with an invisible bias. Instructions are rather thorough, but I added some extra steps for a better visual result.
I understitched the bias to get it to lay flat and invisible.
To understitch: stitching the seam allowance to the bias/facing. The bias/facing will roll perfectly to the inside that way.
I also clipped the curves to prevent any tension there.
I’m not keen on bias-bound neckline so next time I’ll draw a facing.
So, now, I have a gorgeous robe that I’m sure would look lovely on a rooftop!
I’m so pleased to have been able to choose one of Atelier Brunette’s fabrics. The whole collection is full of life, the colors are truely mesmerizing, and I want to test all of the other types of fabrics!