The most positive thing I did during lockdown was starting doing some cardio workout.
I’ve always hated cardio workouts. I just hated feeling weak and breathless and not being able to finish the session.
It was tough, but I didn’t let go and now, I’m pretty happy to sweat during my 3-4-5 times a week’s sessions. I use a free app from the French sport shop Decathlon. I really like it.
Sport, but no outfit!!!
Well, I had ONE. I had been one of the testers for Jalie’s Coco sport bra. That’s a great bra with a lot of support. That’s what I was looking for because HIIT can be pretty intense and do harm to the bust.
I chose to sewn another racerback, but I think that I may sew the crossed straps next time.
This Airtex is available in white, black, and purple. I dyed the white a bright yellow, with Dharma’s acid dye. I like having a lining that matches my main. That’s what sewing for oneself is, right?
I sewed a size X without any alteration. I also used the wide elastic option because I prefer having a longline sort of sport bra.
This pattern is not tricky, but you need to know how to handle strechy fabric and elastic.
Lengths of clear elastic in the neckline and armholes help keep everything in place.
The bottom is the MyFit leggings pattern by Apostrophe Patterns.
This pattern concept, close to Lekala, makes you input your measurements, choice of fabric, choice of options, etc and it gives you the pattern pieces meant for your fabric stretch and options.
I chose a mid-thigh option with a contoured waistband and a geometric side panel. I also added the optional gusset.
I really had troubles with the geometric panel because there were no instructions once the pieces had been sewn into a panel. How on earth the panel would fit into the cut pieces? I had to look on the page before to get my answer. My seam ripper was on duty that day…!
Coverstitch and stretch lycra fabrics
I took the time to experiment with my covertitch.
This Janome CPX1000 is not used a lot. I’ve been so disappointed with it in the past. We weren’t on the same wave length, that’s all!
Since changing my needles for SUK, things improved.
I also noticed that the pressure foot knob is very important. As important as the differential, I’d say.
For my first Coco, I didn’t manage to sew through 5 layers of stretch fabric+elastic. I finished zizagging it and it wasn’t even pretty.
I did it right this time and the result is almost perfect.
What I did:
- Wooly Nylon in the looper
- Moved the knob to “heavy fabric”.
- Tightened the pressure foot knob.
- Differential at 0.5 for a stitch length set at 4.
- Held my breath throughout the process 😉
This article may contain affiliate links.